Everyone has experienced bad breath at least once in their lives. Whether it’s coming from themselves or others, dealing with halitosis (the medical term for bad breath) can be embarrassing and awkward. There are many causes of bad breath, and most are easily fixed with the help of an experienced dentist. At Zeal Dentistry, our team of compassionate and professional dentists can help you figure out the cause of your halitosis and fix it quickly and easily.
What Are the Common Causes of Bad Breath?
There are various reasons why you might be experiencing bad breath. They range from innocent to serious, so it’s important that you should not feel embarrassed to reach out to a dentist for help if you are dealing with this condition. An experienced dentist like the ones at Zeal Dentistry would be more than happy to assist you in figuring out the causes of your bad breath and solving the issue.
But what are some common causes of bad breath? Let’s look at a few.
- Food can be a cause of bad breath, which may seem obvious. If you eat strong-smelling or strong-tasting foods, such as onions, your breath might smell less than stellar. That’s why it’s important to brush your teeth twice a day.
- Tobacco can also cause bad breath. If you use tobacco products, you are also at a higher risk of gum disease, so you should see a dentist regularly if you are a smoker, for instance.
- Bad or poor dental hygiene can certainly be a cause of bad breath. If you don’t brush and floss regularly, food particles may stay in your teeth for longer, causing bad breath and even plaque buildup. If you have plaque buildup, you can easily get periodontitis, a condition that can be serious and requires a dentist’s attention.
These are just a few of the more common causes of bad breath. However, there are more serious ones as well.
Serious Causes of Bad Breath
The causes mentioned above are generally treatable by a skilled dentist, especially if caught early. That’s why it’s important to see your dentist regularly. If you have any issues, they can catch them before they become a serious problem.
Here are some more serious causes of bad breath.
- Infections in your mouth. This can happen after major dental surgery, for instance. In this case, it’s important that you go back to your dentist to make sure that nothing more serious occurs.
- Unfortunately, bad breath can also be a sign of cancer, particularly cancers of the mouth and throat. Again, see your dentist regularly so they can catch something serious like this early.
- Some metabolic disorders can also cause bad breath. In this case, you’d want to see a physician as well as a dentist to confirm a diagnosis, especially if you’re having other symptoms.
Ways to Treat Bad Breath
There are some fairly easy ways to treat occasional bad breath. One of these is by brushing your teeth with a quality toothpaste containing fluoride and flossing regularly. You can also use mouthwash to combat bad breath, especially if it only happens once in a while. If your bad breath is more consistent, you should see a dentist for further investigation and possible diagnosis.
Call Zeal Dentistry Today to Treat Halitosis
If you’re suffering from bad breath, you’re certainly not alone. Many people in the United States deal with halitosis, so the next time you’re at your dentist, don’t be afraid to speak up about it. And if you don’t currently have a dentist and want to find a skilled, professional, and caring environment in which to receive dental care, call Zeal Dentistry today at 415.792.4771, or contact us online to treat your bad breath.