Dental emergencies can derail your day. A knocked-out tooth, pain, bleeding in the mouth, or another dental health issue can interfere with your quality of life. If you have a dental emergency, it is important to reach out to your dentist as soon as possible. Immediate care can ensure that you do not permanently lose a tooth and that you can find relief for any pain you are experiencing.
Even in the middle of the night or the weekend, if you have a dental emergency, you shouldn’t put off receiving care. Whether from a dentist that provides emergency services or even an emergency room, immediate care is key for avoiding other issues.
How a Dentist Can Help
Even everyday activities like eating or playing sports can cause damage to your teeth. Anything that requires immediate treatment can be classified as a dental emergency.
A few types of issues that can require immediate treatment include the following:
- Lost tooth – A knocked-out tooth can often be reattached when you see a dentist quickly
- Severe pain – This could be a sign of an abscess, which is an infection that can spread to other areas
- Cracked tooth – A fracture can cause further trauma in your mouth
- Bleeding – If you are bleeding from the mouth and it won’t stop, your dentist can address the issue
If you have a dental emergency, reach out to your dentist right away. Be sure to save your dentist’s contact information before you have an emergency so you can locate it quickly. It can be helpful to also know your dentist’s hours and policies for emergency services.
To avoid dental emergencies, be proactive in caring for your oral health. Practice good habits and brush twice a day and floss once a day. Use a fluoride toothpaste, which can help protect your teeth. And see your dentist regularly for teeth cleanings and exams, during which your dentist can catch issues before they develop into more complicated problems. For instance, cavities that are not filled early on can develop into painful abscesses. However, if you are experiencing a dental emergency, don’t hesitate to call your dentist at 415.792.4771.
When to Seek Care for a Dental Emergency
You might not know whether the dental issues you are experiencing require emergency attention from a dentist. Issues like a chipped tooth or lost dental crown might seem urgent, but if your dentist cannot see you for a couple of days, they are unlikely to lead to further issues. In order to determine whether or not you should call a dentist for emergency services, consider the following questions:
- Is your mouth bleeding?
- Are you in pain? If so, where is the pain on a scale of 1-10? If you’re experiencing pain over an 8, seek care from a dentist.
- Are any of your teeth loose or misplaced?
- Has one of your teeth been knocked out?
- Is there swelling in the face or gums associated with the pain?
If you can answer “yes” to any of the above, call your dentist for an appointment for emergency services.
Reach Out to Zeal Dentistry Today
If you have a dental emergency, like a cracked tooth, extreme pain, or bleeding in the mouth, contact Zeal Dentistry for an emergency appointment today. Our emergency dental services include help for all of the following:
- Toothache or sore gums
- Swollen or dislocated jaw
- Cracked, broken, chipped or missing teeth
- Lost fillings
- Cuts or bleeding
- Broken dental appliances
- Severe decay or abscess